Dr. James C. Acheson - Chairman and President
As his grandfather was inspirational as an inventor and a protègè of Thomas Edison, so Dr. James Acheson is inspirational as a leader in the arena of community giving. Dr. Acheson ran his family's 90 year-old global specialty chemical firm, Acheson Industries, Inc. for 20 years before establishing a land-development company, Acheson Ventures, LLC. A man whose generosity and love of community prompted him to spearhead unprecedented initiatives for the South side of Port Huron, Michigan. Here's the reprint of an editorial in the Times Herald written by Dr. Acheson, describing his attachment to the South side.
(This file requires the Adobe Acrobat Reader: )
One of the most impressive projects is a 10-year plan to revitalize a mile long piece of property along the St. Clair River and to enhance the quality of life for residents for generations.
• Chairman and president of the James C. Acheson Foundation, a philanthropic organization dedicated to the cultural and economic enhancement of the City of Port Huron, Michigan and Lighthouse Point, Florida.
• Chairman and president of Acheson Ventures, LLC, a land-development company dedicated to the revitalization of the south side of Port Huron, Michigan.
• Recipient of the Russell G. Mawby Award for Philanthropy, Michigan's highest honor for an individual whose philanthropic endeavors have demonstrated a lifelong commitment to encourage private action for public good.
Douglas R. Austin – 1941 to 2012
The late Doug Austin wanted to make his community better, as does Dr. Acheson.
Dr. Acheson had a mission... Mr. Austin had the expertise to make that mission – Acheson Ventures – come true. Their collaboration will have a lasting impact on Port Huron’s South side and the entire City itself.
As Dr. Acheson said of Mr. Austin: “Doug was the driving force behind Acheson Ventures. I can say unequivocally that my mission’s success is due in large measure to his vision and stewardship.”
Mr. Austin, former Chief Executive Office with Acheson Ventures, passed away
on March 18, 2012. We miss him...
Donna M. Niester – Chief Executive Officer
Donna M. Niester is Chief Executive Officer of Acheson Ventures. She has been Trustee of the James C. Acheson Foundation since 2000 and also has been with Acheson Ventures since 2000.
Before joining Acheson Ventures, Ms. Niester was a partner in Austin, Niester, Schweihofer & Finnegan PC. She remains a member of that firm.
Ms. Niester has long been active in the Port Huron community as well as with state-wide organizations.
• President of the Community Foundation of St. Clair County
• Member of the Michigan Community Service Commission
• Past Trustee of the Port Huron Hospital Board of Directors and current
Chairman of the Port Huron Hospital Audit Committee